At Aldo, we highly recommend that all facility managers enlist qualified roofing contractors for implementation of preventive maintenance programs. Roof system expenses account for more than half of all building costs, and maintenance programs are consistent with best practices for building management as noted by BOMA and the National Roofing Contractors Association.
Preventive roof maintenance has many specific benefits ranging from catching issues early before problems compound to ensuring that the useful life of the roof is realized. In fact, some studies suggest that more than 80% of roof systems fail to realize their expected lives due to poor maintenance. Preventive maintenance makes sure that the roof and equipment on the roof function as intended and that warranties are not compromised.
Components of a Roof Maintenance Program
- Checking for storm damage and removing all debris from roof.
- Inspection and cleaning of roof drains, scuppers and gutters to insure proper drainage is maintained.
- Inspection of all expansion joints, parapet walls, counter flashing and seams and repair any cracks or breaches in the coating system.
- Checking all HVAC stands and structures for cracks in flashings or between any crickets and roof membrane or metal roof panel. Repair with sealant if needed.
- Inspection of all pipe penetrations. Repair and fill all voids with approved sealant if needed.
- Inspection of all coping and metal edge areas and repair all cracks and breaches with sealant.
- Inspection of the field and perimeter of any fiberglass skylights. Repair with approved clear skylight coating or approved sealant if needed.
- Annual cleaning of roof by light pressure washing to maximize coating reflectivity. Use caution not to damage system.
In addition to regularly scheduled maintenance described above, always conduct a comprehensive roof inspection following any severe weather event.
Roof maintenance programs assign the responsibility of monitoring the roof from the facility manager to contractors who are trained to identify and resolve these issues. Like they say, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. This principle seems very appropriate for roof systems and an opportunity to realize significant savings and performance over the course of time.
Have a question? Ask Aldo how we can help you and your clients!
The Economic Benefits Of Roof Coatings It’s any home or building owner’s nightmare to hear they need roof work done. The reason is simple: it can get very expensive very quickly. A roof replacement can be terrifying for this reason. Most replacements cost...read more
Stay up to date with all the latest Aldo news!!! Submit your email for up-to-the-minute news.